Close this search box.

What benefits you can get, and how to access Citizens Advice locally


As the cost of living crisis bites, it may be a good opportunity to check if you are eligible for certain benefits, as if you are on certain benefits, you can get more help from Government schemes to help pay utility bills, etc.

Depending on your situation, you can use the Turn2us,  Entitledto and Policy in Practice benefit calculators to check which benefits you can get. 

You’ll need information about savings, income, pension, childcare payments and any existing benefits (for you and your partner).

Check if you can use a benefit calculator

If you’re under 18, only the Policy in Practice calculator will work for you.  Please note, none of the calculators will give you an accurate and detailed calculation if you’re:

  • a student
  • not a British or Irish citizen
  • on strike
  • living outside the UK
  • living permanently in residential care or a nursing home
  • a prisoner

Get help with bills and budgeting

If you’re trying to cut your spending or are having trouble keeping up with payments, see the Citizens Advice website for help and resources on getting help with bills. Or you can use the Citizens Advice budgeting tool to see exactly where your money goes each month.

If you still need help–get advice in person locally

Remember, we can offer appointments to actually see and talk to a Citizens Advice advisor — in person – at the Nidd Plus hub on King Street, Pateley Bridge. Just call us on 01423 714953. All calls and appointments are held in strict confidentiality.

Citizens Advice also has on their website a summary of all the help and support that is available to help with cost of living pressures. You can access it here.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *