Grant available for people on low incomes who are told to self isolate


Extra financial help is available if you are on a low income, cannot work from home and are required to self-isolate after a positive coronavirus test result, or, because you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.

The government will pay a taxable sum of £500 (back dated to 28 September), if you:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by the NHS Test and Trace service, either because you’ve tested positive for the coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive
  • are employed or self-employed
  • are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • are currently receiving one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit

You need to meet all four of the above criteria to be eligible for the payment and must provide evidence.

You can’t get the payment if you are self-isolating/quarantining because you have returned from a trip abroad or if your income is lower than usual because you are furloughed.

Claims for the payment can be made up to 14 days after your period of self-isolation ends and the scheme will stay open until 31 January 2021.

When you apply for the payment you will be required to provide the following supporting evidence:

  • a notification from the NHS Test and Trace service asking you to self-isolate (this will include a unique ID number)
  • a bank statement
  • evidence of your employment status and that your income will reduce as a result of self-isolation, or, evidence you are self-employed (such as your latest self-assessment tax return) and evidence that your business provides services which cannot be undertaken without social contact

Click here to go straight through to the Harrogate Borough Council form where you can apply for the grant.

Additional help Harrogate Borough Council can give you

If you meet the first three criteria in the list at the top of the page, but are not in receipt of a qualifying benefit, the Council may be able to help you through its own discretionary support scheme.

The money available is limited but your application can be considered if:

  • your normal, before-tax earnings, are between £80 and £280 per week
  • you don’t have any savings (capital) exceeding £6,000
  • you have applied for a qualifying benefit but have not yet received a decision (or you have appealed)
  • you can demonstrate, and evidence, that you have suffered/are suffering financial hardship by having to self-isolate

Help for those who are not on line

If you know a family member, friend or neighbour who is not digitally connected, let them know they can call Harrogate Borough Council on 01423 500600, choose the benefits department option, and they can be taken through a mediated claim over the phone by a qualified person at the Council. They would need to say that they are looking to make a claim for a “Test and Trace (self-isolation) Support Payment”.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *